Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Just one more suffer-fest before a much-needed break...

Saturday is the epic Pescadero Road Race. To quote Panda, this is a race that I have a "snowball's chance in hell" of surviving in the main pack. But, I will be there to challenge myself - to see how many hills I can survive before I spew out the back. After it's over, I will be READY for a break.

This has been a brutal spring with racing, work and loading up classes in my master's program to try to finish in December before next racing season. The good news is that my candidacy has been accepted and I will be turning in my thesis project in November. Yay! I will have until July 22 to become re-inspired after Pescadero. I haven't had an extended vacation in 2 years. So, we will be doing that, but without bikes this time. Then, I'll have several weeks to build back up before the final phase of my season. Then, over the fall I will ponder all the types of races I've done this year and try to be more strategic next year in picking races that will suit my strengths and minimize my weaknesses. Of course, I'll throw in a few that will be challenges, too.

The only hitch in my time of recuperation is that I have to come back from vacation to a web site redeisign project at work, which will mean long hours for the rest of the summer. Drat! But, I will take what I can get. My body is screaming for a break - mentally, physically and emotionally. So, it will get one. Hooooraaaay!

3 comments:

Itinerant Rick said...

Yes, my dear, you have been over-worked, and we will try to remedy that after Saturday. After you have time to think you can decide how to progress. We will get you through this season, then decide your goals for next season, and decide how to setup to meet those goals ... and hopefully with a bit less stress and suffering.

EB said...

When the brain says it's time for a break, it's soooo time for a break...

I'm surprised at how little I missed the bike AND how little fitness I seemed to lose while I was gone. And personally, I think those races you don't expect much from but will be brutal are fitting last races before a break (mine was Berkeley Hills, would have been Kern if BHRR hadn't made me sick).

Enjoy the vacation!

chatterbox said...

thanks, Panda! We will!