Monday, August 6, 2007

A good race!

Well, my measure of success may be different than some of you who regularly step on the podium. However, I am happy that yesterday I had a successful race. Our team assembled yesterday morning for the Timpani criterium. I did not put any expectations on myself other than to have fun and be safe. Honestly, my head has not been in racing for the last few weeks - mostly due to several high stress situations going on in other areas of my life.

I started the race on the outside and in the back half. But, as the race went on, I moved to the inside more toward the front and actually found myself on the front a couple times for various reasons. About halfway through the race, a handlebar into my butt forced me to the outside coming into the start/finish stretch. That was actually a good thing, because on the inside, there was a nasty crash. I saw a bike flying high in the air. It looked like Tracy from Velo Bella was down the longest. A couple of our girls got caught in the mayhem, but they were unhurt and able to reintegrate. I hope everyone is OK.

Anyway, I was actually in this race enough to try to make a move to help the team with 2 to go. Unfortunately, the Mintie Mafia had a better move up their sleeves. But, for me, it was a success to even be able to try something tactical, even if the attempt failed. I pretty much blew my last gasket with that move, and limped across the finish a little behind the lead group. But, overall, I was happy with the experience. Yay!

8 comments:

Itinerant Rick said...

You did great, as did the team. Best wishes to Tracey, who was down for a while. Made my heart stop when, from about 50m down the road I saw one bike wobble, go sideways, then others start flipping into the air. Don't think I breathed again until I saw you pass.

Anonymous said...

great job out there keeping up right!

Tracey has a fracture in her pelvis and looks like she took a good hit on her head - update from her hunny. She is resting and in good hands.

chatterbox said...

c-rick - thanks! You know I can't do all this without your help and encouragement.

flandria - thanks for the update on Tracey. I was worried when I saw her down for so long....

beth bikes! said...

you did awesome chatterbox! is this your last race this year? if so, congrats on finishing strong and on a high note! can't wait to see you on the track! you'll love it- lots of crazy races to keep your mind sharp!

chatterbox said...

thanks, beth! I am planning to do two more races, but telling myself I can stop any time I'm ready. I think the last two races will be good for me as well. They are both road races with less hilliness, so play to my endurance strengths. I'm sure I'll see you at the track soon.

Chris said...

Atta girl! You are going to do well next year. This is just the beginning for you.

Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

Ms. Chatterbox--congratultations! Sounds like you had a great race! Good job...your head and legs came together, you helped out your team, you were riding safe up front, and you avoided the crash! Awesome. I know you're going to have an awesome season next year...and the rest of this year, too! Maybe ill see you at San Ardo?

chatterbox said...

chris - thanks! I am looking forward to next season.

drkim - thanks! Barring any unforeseen circumstances, you will see me at San Ardo.